It's the ESSENCE of the Thing

What the heck is an essence?


I am no stranger to the more bizarre side of skincare, but essences have confused me since I bought one a year ago. Like some skincare enthusiasts, I am drawn to new steps and products that could potentially make my face more perfect. (I confess, I have a lengthy skincare routine then I'm obsessed with adding things to.)

I will not claim to know everything, so when I decided I wanted to clear the fog about essences, I had to do some research. First, it's important to know that the idea of an essence comes from Korea, and Koreans call their essences lotions and their toners essences. I should also point out that in the US, we often refer to toners as lotions. But I digress. The idea is that an essence works on the cellular level to hydrate the skin and prep it for whatever step comes next (usually serum or moisturizer). 


But how is that different from a toner? Back in the day, cleansers were made so harshly that toners were created tp rebalance the pH of your skin. Nowadays, cleansers are made much better so toners are more for prepping the skin for moisture and helping the skin to breathe. That being said, a toner, most of the time, doesn't have any active ingredients. An essence usually does. 

Think of it this way. Ni’Kita Wilson, cosmetic chemist and vice-president for sales an innovation at Aware Products, likes to compare essences to loosening up soil before you water it. “If you water loose soil, it’s able to flow to the bottom, but if it’s tight and compact, whatever you put on top is just going to sit there,” she said. “We’ve failed to realize that in order for ingredients to easily flow through the bilayers of the skin, you need moisture, you need your skin to be primed.” If that doesn't make sense, think of it as skin care primer.


So do I need this or not? Well, if you're pretty basic with your skincare, it's probably not worth it. Essences don't give instant gratification. Over time, they can plump and strengthen your moisture barrier and really make your skin glow, but if you're not using other products to help your essence, you won't see any results. 

I like an essence. I feel like it's a great addition to my routine and I can see a difference it the overall brightness of my skin. Just remember to always check your ingredients and decide if it's a step that's right for you!

Peace,
Megan

Comments